Family Law Advice Service

The Family Law Advice Service provides free legal advice and assistance by appointment in separation, divorce and parenting matters, to people who live, work or study in the Newcastle and Hunter regions, or who are parties to family law disputes in the Family Court of Australia (FCA) and the Federal Circuit Court (FCC) in Newcastle. Assistance under the Family Law Advice Service is only available to parties to disputes who are self-represented, and who meet certain criteria for assistance.

The Family Law Advice Service is not available to any person who is eligible for legal aid. Before contacting the Hunter CLC for assistance in the Family Law Advice Service you should check your eligibility for Legal Aid, or apply for a grant of Legal Aid, by contacting Newcastle Legal Aid on (02) 49295482 or going to the Legal Aid website at

Assistance in the Family Law Advice Service may include:

  • legal advice and information
  • assistance with the preparation of correspondence and court documents
  • assistance with settlement negotiations

For an appointment in the Family Law Advice Service phone (02) 40409121 or Toll Free 1800 650 073

Please Note: The Hunter CLC will not be on the Court record as your legal representative. You will remain a self-represented litigant whatever assistance is provided to you under the Family Law Advice Service.