Duty Solicitor Service – Family Law
The Hunter Community Legal Centre Duty Solicitor Service is a free service for self-represented parties to family law disputes in the Family Court of Australia (FCA) and the Federal Circuit Court (FCC) in Newcastle.
Assistance in this service is only available for matters which are listed in the court list on the date on which the duty solicitor is in attendance. Assistance on that date may include:
- provision of legal advice and information
- explanation of documents and orders
- representation in court for adjournments and short or procedural matters
- representation in negotiations
- representation in court for recovery orders
- urgent applications regarding children
- limited assistance if, on the first court date, the matter requires an interim hearing
The Duty Solicitor Service is not available for matters which are listed for a final hearing (including final hearing of a Contravention Application).
For assistance from the duty solicitor at court on the day, go to the duty solicitor’s office on Level 4 of the Newcastle Family Court Building at 61 Bolton Street, Newcastle, or ask the registry staff or a court officer to help you locate us.